----- ............Cemetery Walk: An afternoon of discovery! Every stone has a story. And they are waiting to be told........... -----

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Thomas W. Everett - Civil War Soldier

Thomas W. Everett is buried in the historic Linwood Cemetery in my hometown of Columbus, GA. I love to walk through this cemetery when I go home to visit.

Civil War records give conflicting dates and places for the death of Thomas. He enlisted for one year as a Private in Co I 5 Rgt of the GA Vol Inf on May 11, 1861 in Macon, GA, by Capt. Cole.

T. W. Everett appears on a list of casualties in the affair on Santa Rosa Island Florida on October 8th & 9th 1861. Remarks: Prisoner wounded. Since dead.

Name appears on a register of officers and soldiers who were killed in battle, or who died of wounds or disease on October 16, 1861 at Ft. Pickens Hospital. Number of certificate 17. This marker reads "The first who fell from Columbus".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.

Due to a recent high volume of spam I have activated the comment moderation instead of discontinuing posts by anonymous visitors.