----- ............Cemetery Walk: An afternoon of discovery! Every stone has a story. And they are waiting to be told........... -----

Saturday, August 22, 2009

His face is hid under the coffin lid

Charlie Troy rests at Bean Cemetery. Three sides of his headstone were inscribed.
.
(1) Charlie, son of B. F. & Anna Troy. Died Dec. 10, 1885, Aged 17 Yrs. 8 Mos. 10 Ds


.
(2) In blooming youth he was snatched away. In him we took pride.
Gone before us, oh our brother to the spirit land.
.
(3) I know his face is hid
under the coffin lid
closed are his eyes
cold is his forehead fair
my hand that marble felt
o're it in prayer I knelt
yet my heart whispers
that he is not there
.
If you Google "his face is hid under the coffin lid" you will find reference to a poem entitled "My Child". I also found it recorded in the book "The Home Book of Verse, American and English, 1580 - 1918."
.
A quick check on Ancestry.com revealed a family tree with Charlie listed. It gave his birth date as 3/30/1868 and his parents as Benjamin Franklin and Anne Ramsey Troy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.

Due to a recent high volume of spam I have activated the comment moderation instead of discontinuing posts by anonymous visitors.