----- ............Cemetery Walk: An afternoon of discovery! Every stone has a story. And they are waiting to be told........... -----

Thursday, March 24, 2011

When Cemetery Walks Cross in History

Last week I was in Texas visiting family and took a cemetery walk at the Lonesome Dove Cemetery. One of the stones stated the woman was a survivor of the Ft. Parker Massacre. Reading the Wikipedia page on the event I was surprised to find it was about Cynthia Ann Parker's capture and life spent with the Comanche Indians, marrying a chief, Peta Nocona, and giving birth to Quanah Parker, who would become the last chief of the Comanche Indians.





I Googled Malinda's name and found these interesting articles online.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Back to the Ft. Parker massacre...

The Parker names were familiar to me as I had visited their graves in 2009 at Ft. Sill, OK while visiting my son when he was stationed there for AIT.

Ft. Sill Cemetery



I always enjoy the history I learn from my cemetery walks.

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting find. And I know what you mean--always fun to learn some new bit of (local) history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't cemeteries wonderful places to photograph and even learn some history in the process. Those that go before us have interesting lives. I'm a cemetery walker, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malinda Frost Dwight was a ggg or so grandmother of mine...so you can imagine how thrilled to accidently run across this wonderful photo of her tombstone!!! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ara,

    I love when people find their family among my posts. If you need better pics let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.

Due to a recent high volume of spam I have activated the comment moderation instead of discontinuing posts by anonymous visitors.